Skip to main content

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

This time of year has to be my favorite time of year. I am seeing so many wonderful things from my students with how they are taking ownership of their learning, collaborating with each other, becoming more and more creative, and starting to see some quiet students really begin to open up and share their personalities. It is also my favorite time of year to try out new ideas, reflect on my successes and failures, and start thinking about how and what I want to accomplish with next year's students.

I find myself building my PLN more and more, as I search for new ideas and ways to improve my current practice. The information I am getting through Twitter, Voxer (thanks to the suggestion of fellow educator Rachelle Dene Poth), Google+, and my director of technology is extraordinary. While I have heard of Alice Keeler for years, I recently started following her on Twitter (@alicekeeler). I honestly do not know why I waited so long to follow her. Everything she tweets is outstanding. The ideas I am taking away from my PLN, keep me so energized as if it were the very beginning of the school year.

And that is what is makes this the most wonderful time of the year. It is having the opportunity to try new ideas with a seasoned group of students that makes learning meaningful for them and me the last few months. Who couldn't help but feel energized and excited to go to work? The end of the school year is not about coasting, but rather about exploring opportunities to finish the year strong for your students who trusted and believed in you all year. It is also about looking towards the future to next year's students, so you will give them a year like they have never had before.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Force Awakens

Just when I thought I had my blended learning classroom in a good place, everything changed. Half way through the school year, my district decided to pilot a new math series. This meant change. A change I was having trouble dealing with. For about two weeks I struggled and became quite frustrated trying to figure out how this new math series fit into the way I had been running my blended learning classroom. I kept trying to force the math series in but kept getting disastrous results. My struggles and frustration spilled over into my classes. I did not like what I was seeing from the math series, I did not like what I was seeing from my teaching, and I did not like the results I was seeing from my students. Every night I left school feeling disheartened, but determined to make things better the next day. The only problem was I kept trying to force the fix every new day, instead of sitting back, reflecting, and seeing what other solutions came about. I was suffering from a little ca...

What I Learned from the Elf on the Shelf

There I was at 7:00 AM, bleeding, blood all over my hands, kneeling over our family's beloved Elf on the Shelf, Oliver, in the dining room, and my six-year-old daughter waking up and coming down the steps. It was my worst case scenario. My little girl was going to come downstairs and see me covered in blood with our Elf on the Shelf laying on the floor and think that I did something terrible to Oliver.  Why was I covered in blood and bleeding at 7:00 AM in the dining room with Oliver laying on the floor next me? Because I was trying to make the Elf on the Shelf experience better for my daughters. The night before, I moved Oliver to a spot in our house that was just okay. I knew it was just okay at the time, but I thought it would do. The next morning I woke up, and decided I could do a better job with my placement of our elf. As I was moving him around in the dining room, so he would be hanging upside down like Batman, (much cooler than my first placement), I bumped a glass tha...

Did You Send Out the Invites

Do you send out invites to your parties, or do you just hope people hear about them through word of mouth and just show up? Unless you still live at a college frat house, chances are you send out invites. The invitations are an important part to any successful party. Without them, people don't know when, where, or even if there is a party. And it could be the best party ever, but no one would know without the invitations.  Earlier this year,  few of my colleagues and I went to a Breakout EDU workshop. It was something we all had a strong interest in, and something that we were excited to try when we got back to school. But then, something terrible happened. We all went back to work the next day, closed our doors, and started teaching in our own self-induced, solitary confinement classrooms. What we were so excited and energized about doing (and something that required communication and collaboration), faded away as quickly as the next day came. A few weeks went by, and I...