Skip to main content

Packets & Puzzles

Last week was the end of the school year, and I had mixed emotions as many educators do. I felt a sense of accomplishment and pride with all my 6th grade students achieved, a sense of sadness with seeing my students leave, and yes, a sense of relief, and joy that summer was finally here and I would be getting to spend time with my own children. However as the year was coming to an end, I kept trying new things with my students. I did not want to end their time with me on packets and puzzles. I wanted to end the year as I began the year, being a meaningful, student-centered classroom.
We all want our students to find their education and the lessons we design for them meaningful, but honestly, can we define what is meaningful to our students when we are no longer students of that age? How do we know when something is meaningful to them and when it is not? I have discussed this year being meaningful to my students numerous times in previous blog posts, but I don't think I could really define it until one of the very last days of the school year. And if I am being completely honest, I don't know how many lessons were truly meaningful to my students. 
One of my last science lessons for the year was for the students to make a science meme of any topic we covered with this year using Google Drawings. What I thought would be a fun little lesson that incorporated Google Drawings, turned out to be the most meaningful lesson of the year to my students. As I watched my students work through this lesson, I saw them engaged and using all of the 4C's from start to finish. What they were doing was meaningful to them, and it was obvious. Once the lesson was over, I spent some time thinking about what made this lesson so meaningful to them. How did I have them engaged in their learning at about school day 174 of 180? What did I see from this lesson that I did not see from all of my other lessons? The answer was relevance. Being meaningful is being relevant. For my 6th grade students, learning how to create their very own memes could not be more relevant to them. So there they were, going through all their science resources for the year, reflecting, collaborating, communicating, being creative, and using critical thinking to create their very own meme in Google Drawings. 
Was the lesson meaningful? Did it demonstrate their learning? Absolutely. But what made the lesson meaningful was that it was relevant to them. It was relevant to my audience. It wasn't packets and puzzles. It wasn't finding the area of some random triangle. It wasn't finding what place value the 2 is in in the number 347,290,185. Can all of my lessons have the same relevance of my science meme lesson? Probably not, but that doesn't mean I can't try.
So as summer begins, I will start going back through my lessons trying to find new ways to make them relevant to my audience of 6th graders. However, I won't really know what is relevant to my new group of students until I meet them and get to know them, and one way to start to find out more about them is utilizing Google Forms. At the beginning of the next school year, I think I will do a Google Form about their likes, dislikes, interests, etc. and use that information to help make my lessons for them more meaningful, or rather relevant. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flipping Out for Faculty Meetings

This year my classroom grew from about 25 students to about 665 students, as I made the transition from sixth grade teacher to elementary principal. It has been an exciting and enjoyable transition. It has also been interesting being on the other side of things. For example, being on the other side of faculty meetings. September's faculty meeting I did the traditional approach. Scheduled it. Sent out an email reminder. Met with the faculty and started going over what I needed to say, offering very little time for discussion. But then I did change things up about half way through. I introduced our district's Google Expedition VR kits. I took them on a few virtual reality field trips and showed them how they could be used with any subject. Then before I knew it, it was time for the students to arrive. As I prepared for my October faculty meeting, I thought about how I introduced the teachers to the Google Expeditions VR kits and how teachers in grades 3, 5, and 6 used tho

At The Edge of The Diving Board

Am I ready for this? Are my students ready for this? Is it too late to turn back? What will my students think if I turn back? Did I prepare them well enough? Should I spend more time going over the different stations? Will this work? All of these questions and so many more were flying around in my head as I looked out at my first period math class who were about to begin the blended learning station rotation model. Then I was able to take a breath which gave me a sense of calm. It was in that moment I saw the excitement in my students' faces. I saw their belief in me. I realized they were craving something new, something different, something meaningful, and something that they can take with them for years that will help them in THEIR future. So, I jumped off that "diving board" and into the blended learning model. I came up splashing and reaching for that edge of the pool, and as I made it over there I realized it was fun, exciting, engaging, and yes, messy, but als

Instant Pot, Instant Failure

The Instant Pot I received for Christmas this past year sat for a few months before I even thought about using it. My wife would remind me frequently we had it and that I should try it (I do all the cooking in the house. She does all the laundry. Fair trade-off). When she would encourage me to use our new cooking gadget, I looked at her and our Instant Pot with a little disdain. I felt my cooking was pretty good, and besides I already had my go to Pioneer Woman dinners that couldn't be beat. So I was always a bit insulted when the Instant Pot was referenced in my house, as I felt not only was my cooking being insulted but so was the Pioneer Woman herself, Ree Drummond. Then one night in late January it all started to change. I came home late from work to find my wife using the Instant Pot! I have to admit, the meal she cooked was pretty good, but secretively I was a little upset. I was not about to let her one-up me with the use of the Instant Pot, so I began searching for and