Skip to main content

Packets & Puzzles

Last week was the end of the school year, and I had mixed emotions as many educators do. I felt a sense of accomplishment and pride with all my 6th grade students achieved, a sense of sadness with seeing my students leave, and yes, a sense of relief, and joy that summer was finally here and I would be getting to spend time with my own children. However as the year was coming to an end, I kept trying new things with my students. I did not want to end their time with me on packets and puzzles. I wanted to end the year as I began the year, being a meaningful, student-centered classroom.
We all want our students to find their education and the lessons we design for them meaningful, but honestly, can we define what is meaningful to our students when we are no longer students of that age? How do we know when something is meaningful to them and when it is not? I have discussed this year being meaningful to my students numerous times in previous blog posts, but I don't think I could really define it until one of the very last days of the school year. And if I am being completely honest, I don't know how many lessons were truly meaningful to my students. 
One of my last science lessons for the year was for the students to make a science meme of any topic we covered with this year using Google Drawings. What I thought would be a fun little lesson that incorporated Google Drawings, turned out to be the most meaningful lesson of the year to my students. As I watched my students work through this lesson, I saw them engaged and using all of the 4C's from start to finish. What they were doing was meaningful to them, and it was obvious. Once the lesson was over, I spent some time thinking about what made this lesson so meaningful to them. How did I have them engaged in their learning at about school day 174 of 180? What did I see from this lesson that I did not see from all of my other lessons? The answer was relevance. Being meaningful is being relevant. For my 6th grade students, learning how to create their very own memes could not be more relevant to them. So there they were, going through all their science resources for the year, reflecting, collaborating, communicating, being creative, and using critical thinking to create their very own meme in Google Drawings. 
Was the lesson meaningful? Did it demonstrate their learning? Absolutely. But what made the lesson meaningful was that it was relevant to them. It was relevant to my audience. It wasn't packets and puzzles. It wasn't finding the area of some random triangle. It wasn't finding what place value the 2 is in in the number 347,290,185. Can all of my lessons have the same relevance of my science meme lesson? Probably not, but that doesn't mean I can't try.
So as summer begins, I will start going back through my lessons trying to find new ways to make them relevant to my audience of 6th graders. However, I won't really know what is relevant to my new group of students until I meet them and get to know them, and one way to start to find out more about them is utilizing Google Forms. At the beginning of the next school year, I think I will do a Google Form about their likes, dislikes, interests, etc. and use that information to help make my lessons for them more meaningful, or rather relevant. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Force Awakens

Just when I thought I had my blended learning classroom in a good place, everything changed. Half way through the school year, my district decided to pilot a new math series. This meant change. A change I was having trouble dealing with. For about two weeks I struggled and became quite frustrated trying to figure out how this new math series fit into the way I had been running my blended learning classroom. I kept trying to force the math series in but kept getting disastrous results. My struggles and frustration spilled over into my classes. I did not like what I was seeing from the math series, I did not like what I was seeing from my teaching, and I did not like the results I was seeing from my students. Every night I left school feeling disheartened, but determined to make things better the next day. The only problem was I kept trying to force the fix every new day, instead of sitting back, reflecting, and seeing what other solutions came about. I was suffering from a little ca...

What I Learned from the Elf on the Shelf

There I was at 7:00 AM, bleeding, blood all over my hands, kneeling over our family's beloved Elf on the Shelf, Oliver, in the dining room, and my six-year-old daughter waking up and coming down the steps. It was my worst case scenario. My little girl was going to come downstairs and see me covered in blood with our Elf on the Shelf laying on the floor and think that I did something terrible to Oliver.  Why was I covered in blood and bleeding at 7:00 AM in the dining room with Oliver laying on the floor next me? Because I was trying to make the Elf on the Shelf experience better for my daughters. The night before, I moved Oliver to a spot in our house that was just okay. I knew it was just okay at the time, but I thought it would do. The next morning I woke up, and decided I could do a better job with my placement of our elf. As I was moving him around in the dining room, so he would be hanging upside down like Batman, (much cooler than my first placement), I bumped a glass tha...

Did You Send Out the Invites

Do you send out invites to your parties, or do you just hope people hear about them through word of mouth and just show up? Unless you still live at a college frat house, chances are you send out invites. The invitations are an important part to any successful party. Without them, people don't know when, where, or even if there is a party. And it could be the best party ever, but no one would know without the invitations.  Earlier this year,  few of my colleagues and I went to a Breakout EDU workshop. It was something we all had a strong interest in, and something that we were excited to try when we got back to school. But then, something terrible happened. We all went back to work the next day, closed our doors, and started teaching in our own self-induced, solitary confinement classrooms. What we were so excited and energized about doing (and something that required communication and collaboration), faded away as quickly as the next day came. A few weeks went by, and I...