Skip to main content

A Picture is Worth 1000 Words

Teacher: No, no, no, no. Like this.
Student: I got it. I got it.
Teacher: No, not like that. Like this. Now do you have it?
Student: Yeah, I got it now.
Teacher: No, no, no, no, no. Look, like this. Got it?
Student: Oh yeah. Now I get it.
Teacher: Good. Now try it again. Let me see it.
Student: See, I got it. Right?
Teacher: Ugh. No, not like that. Like this. Now try again. Well, you know what, never-mind. It looks good.
Student: OK. Whatever.  
How many times do you see students and teachers frustrated because they do not understand what the other really wants? How many times do you hear frustrated teachers in the faculty room because their students do not understand how their work is supposed to look? How many times do you hear students mumbling underneath their breath that they don't understand what in the heck the teacher wants? And how many times have you been that student growing up or even that teacher when you have 29 other students you want to check on? (So much for the communication part in the 4C's.) Enter in a possible solution: iPad + AppleTV.
In my classes, I use an iPad to take pictures of several, anonymous student work examples (and the occasional selfie with the students). I then connect my iPad to my AppleTV using the "mirroring" feature. My iPad is now projected onto the board, so whatever I see, the students see. As we begin to discuss the examples, I edit the images using the ShowMe app. Students get immediate feedback on what I am looking for, but it also opens up fantastic discussions on the thinking behind the students' work. There is no guess work. There is no miscommunication.  
As a result of using the iPad, AppleTV, and ShowMe app so far this year, my 6th grade math students are more quickly understanding the "thinking" I am expecting from them. It alleviates stress on not only me, but more importantly my students. While I want them to show me their work, I am more interested in the thinking behind their work. And utilizing the iPad and AppleTV has already allowed for more in depth class discussions and greater understandings than in previous years.
I take pictures of at least three to five different student work examples. We compare and contrast them, as we work towards finding out the best way to show our work and our thinking. This also opens great opportunities for the idea of "problem finding." It is a way to champion the incorrect work and emphasize the importance of learning from one's mistakes. Students are able to easily understand learning, unlearning, and relearning through this process. 
The better I can communicate with my students, the better we can understand each other. Combining the iPad with the AppleTV has allowed me to do just that. No longer am I going back and forth with a student trying to get them to understand what I am looking for, as we both become increasingly frustrated with lack of understanding. I now have a solid, concrete way to clearly communicate to my students what I am asking from them. A picture really is worth a thousand words. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Force Awakens

Just when I thought I had my blended learning classroom in a good place, everything changed. Half way through the school year, my district decided to pilot a new math series. This meant change. A change I was having trouble dealing with. For about two weeks I struggled and became quite frustrated trying to figure out how this new math series fit into the way I had been running my blended learning classroom. I kept trying to force the math series in but kept getting disastrous results. My struggles and frustration spilled over into my classes. I did not like what I was seeing from the math series, I did not like what I was seeing from my teaching, and I did not like the results I was seeing from my students. Every night I left school feeling disheartened, but determined to make things better the next day. The only problem was I kept trying to force the fix every new day, instead of sitting back, reflecting, and seeing what other solutions came about. I was suffering from a little ca...

What I Learned from the Elf on the Shelf

There I was at 7:00 AM, bleeding, blood all over my hands, kneeling over our family's beloved Elf on the Shelf, Oliver, in the dining room, and my six-year-old daughter waking up and coming down the steps. It was my worst case scenario. My little girl was going to come downstairs and see me covered in blood with our Elf on the Shelf laying on the floor and think that I did something terrible to Oliver.  Why was I covered in blood and bleeding at 7:00 AM in the dining room with Oliver laying on the floor next me? Because I was trying to make the Elf on the Shelf experience better for my daughters. The night before, I moved Oliver to a spot in our house that was just okay. I knew it was just okay at the time, but I thought it would do. The next morning I woke up, and decided I could do a better job with my placement of our elf. As I was moving him around in the dining room, so he would be hanging upside down like Batman, (much cooler than my first placement), I bumped a glass tha...

Did You Send Out the Invites

Do you send out invites to your parties, or do you just hope people hear about them through word of mouth and just show up? Unless you still live at a college frat house, chances are you send out invites. The invitations are an important part to any successful party. Without them, people don't know when, where, or even if there is a party. And it could be the best party ever, but no one would know without the invitations.  Earlier this year,  few of my colleagues and I went to a Breakout EDU workshop. It was something we all had a strong interest in, and something that we were excited to try when we got back to school. But then, something terrible happened. We all went back to work the next day, closed our doors, and started teaching in our own self-induced, solitary confinement classrooms. What we were so excited and energized about doing (and something that required communication and collaboration), faded away as quickly as the next day came. A few weeks went by, and I...