Skip to main content

Above and Beyond

Teacher, "Recess time!"
Students, "Yeh!"
Teacher, "Let's play some football!"
Students, "I wanna be on your team!"
Teacher, "I'll be the all-time quarterback, punter, and ref."
Students, "Yeh!"
Teacher, "Ready. Set. Hike."
Students, "I'm open! I'm open! Throw it to me! Throw it to me!"
Recess is one of the best parts about elementary school for students, but also for teachers and principals. It is fantastic to see the enthusiasm that comes out from students at recess and how engaged they can really be.
One of the things that I am quickly realizing as principal (just over one month in) is just how important it is to the students, parents, and other staff members to have teachers that go above and beyond for their students in ways that are meaningful and personal to their students. When I have teachers volunteering to be all-time punters, quarterbacks, and referees at recess they are building lasting memories for the students, while at the same time building stronger relationships with their students and their students' families. And that has a greater impact than many realize. 
What do you think a student is more likely to talk about when he gets home from school, the lesson on fractions or that their teacher played with them at recess? As a parent, I know if I am hearing that my child's teacher played a game with them at recess, I know my child is getting taught by an educator who truly cares about their students and sees their job as more than just that. They value their time with my child in a way that goes beyond the classroom lessons. As a principal, I love to see those connections and relationships being made stronger because I see how that builds a strong sense of trust and supportive community that is needed in the overall culture of a school. The importance of relationships cannot be overlooked.
Now, I am not expecting to see all of my teachers playing football with their students. That is obviously not the only way teachers are going above and beyond for their students. I am also seeing teachers go above and beyond by staying late to make that extra phone call home or send that extra email home when they have their own families to get home to. I see them communicating with families at home through Class Dojo or Remind, which gives the families a meaningful glimpse into their child's day. I see them talking with that troubled student over and over in a quiet, reassuring voice never once losing their patience. I see them willingly cover other classes over and over when there are not subs. I see them getting down on the ground with students in their classes and meeting them at eye level. I hear them telling parents to contact them anytime of the day or night. I see them eager to learn and try new ideas to better improve their time with their students. 
All of these teachers who go above and beyond to build strong, lasting relationships, need to be celebrated. They need to know that they are making a significant difference not only with their students or their classes, but they are making a difference in the entire building and school community. I must do my part to acknowledge and celebrate these teachers. I need to go above and beyond for them. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Force Awakens

Just when I thought I had my blended learning classroom in a good place, everything changed. Half way through the school year, my district decided to pilot a new math series. This meant change. A change I was having trouble dealing with. For about two weeks I struggled and became quite frustrated trying to figure out how this new math series fit into the way I had been running my blended learning classroom. I kept trying to force the math series in but kept getting disastrous results. My struggles and frustration spilled over into my classes. I did not like what I was seeing from the math series, I did not like what I was seeing from my teaching, and I did not like the results I was seeing from my students. Every night I left school feeling disheartened, but determined to make things better the next day. The only problem was I kept trying to force the fix every new day, instead of sitting back, reflecting, and seeing what other solutions came about. I was suffering from a little ca...

What I Learned from the Elf on the Shelf

There I was at 7:00 AM, bleeding, blood all over my hands, kneeling over our family's beloved Elf on the Shelf, Oliver, in the dining room, and my six-year-old daughter waking up and coming down the steps. It was my worst case scenario. My little girl was going to come downstairs and see me covered in blood with our Elf on the Shelf laying on the floor and think that I did something terrible to Oliver.  Why was I covered in blood and bleeding at 7:00 AM in the dining room with Oliver laying on the floor next me? Because I was trying to make the Elf on the Shelf experience better for my daughters. The night before, I moved Oliver to a spot in our house that was just okay. I knew it was just okay at the time, but I thought it would do. The next morning I woke up, and decided I could do a better job with my placement of our elf. As I was moving him around in the dining room, so he would be hanging upside down like Batman, (much cooler than my first placement), I bumped a glass tha...

Did You Send Out the Invites

Do you send out invites to your parties, or do you just hope people hear about them through word of mouth and just show up? Unless you still live at a college frat house, chances are you send out invites. The invitations are an important part to any successful party. Without them, people don't know when, where, or even if there is a party. And it could be the best party ever, but no one would know without the invitations.  Earlier this year,  few of my colleagues and I went to a Breakout EDU workshop. It was something we all had a strong interest in, and something that we were excited to try when we got back to school. But then, something terrible happened. We all went back to work the next day, closed our doors, and started teaching in our own self-induced, solitary confinement classrooms. What we were so excited and energized about doing (and something that required communication and collaboration), faded away as quickly as the next day came. A few weeks went by, and I...